I may not be a good friend, but i will never be a bad son to my mom

we will never know when a good friend turns into a deceitful asshole

Thursday, July 1, 2010

WVSU: Towards a More Responsive Environmental Stewardship



Once as I strolled through the pathways of West Visayas State University, a pair of sparrows crossed my direction. With naïve chirping, they playfully chased each other unmindful of my presence. My eyes followed them as they continued their game out of the university gate and into the bustling street. Then a darkened cloud of smoke emitted from a vehicle approached their direction and triggered them to divert their courses to avoid the poisoned air. Driven by the desire to save their lives, they parted from each other and concluded the game.

The thoughts of the sparrows and their unkindly- ended amusement brought before my very own awareness the intensity of change in our environment. Considering how the conditions of the earth altered for the last few years, my thoughts flew along with the sparrows to view a future hasting into obscurity. And then it dawned upon me that an action must be done.

I am a student of West Visayas State University and thus, I cannot be ignorant of the downfall which currently threatens mother earth. The knowledge beheld unto me by my beloved institution is the very conscience which moves me into the field of action. However, the verity of my limitations as a learner dependent upon the hands of my supervisors provokes me from marching into battle unarmed. Therefore I must find a way that in my being a student, I may become a hero of the environment.

It is a fact that university students do carry upon their shoulders the weight of academic training. They are but in the process of sharpening their intellects and it cannot be denied that such procedure could crook their backs. Nevertheless, it must be noted by these progressing scholars that they are provided with not only knowledge but the very opportunities to practice such in their everyday lives.

In this regard, a WVSU student then must be aware of the role he plays as a constituent of his earthly environment. In addition to the fact that we are all taught in our classrooms to preserve and maintain the healthiness of our nature, West also grants us the challenge to implement this knowledge for the benefit of many.

What then can we do in order to present that WVSU students are not merely knowledgeable but more importantly wise when it comes to environmental stewardship? We must Mother Nature that even in the least of our ways; we aim to secure her welfare. However minute compared to voluminous advocacies, we must be proud to say that we practice proper waste disposal and promote a smoke- free campus. And more importantly we take part in restoring our forests by tree planting activities, among others. I believe that if we materialize these ideal philosophies, we will be able to make a difference.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step thus, for us to accomplish the goal of a perfectly well environment then we must do something. However, since we are not yet fully capable, let us resort to most that we can. If ever our most is but a least, then let us make so much of it that in the near future, what we did will be more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment